About the Authors
- Derek W Dunn, Simon T Segar, Ruth Chan, James M Cook
- Division of Biology, Imperial College London, Ascot, United Kingdom
- Derek W Dunn, Simon T Segar, James M Cook
- School of Biological Sciences, University of Reading, Reading, United Kingdom
- Derek W Dunn, Jo Ridley, Douglas W Yu
- School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, United Kingdom
- Ross H Crozier
- School of Marine and Tropical Biology, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
- James M Cook
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Centre for Population Biology, Imperial College London, Ascot, United Kingdom
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
DWD, JR, DWY, and JMC developed the research plan and all authors discussed the results. DWD formulated the parasite hypothesis and then collected, dissected, and measured syconia and wasps; collated and analyzed the data; drew Figures 2, 3, and 5; and wrote the basic framework of the paper. STS and RC collected, dissected, and measured syconia and wasps, and helped collate data. JR drew Figure 4 and helped write the paper. RHC helped write the paper. DWY helped write the paper and contributed to data analysis. JMC collected foundress number data, helped write the paper, and drew Figure 1.