About the Authors
- Bernd Schierwater, Michael Eitel, Wolfgang Jakob, Hans-Jürgen Osigus, Heike Hadrys
- ITZ, Ecology and Evolution, Tierärztliche Hochschule Hannover, Hannover, Germany
- Bernd Schierwater, Stephen L Dellaporta
- Department of Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
- Bernd Schierwater, Sergios-Orestis Kolokotronis, Rob DeSalle
- Sackler Institute for Comparative Genomics and Division of Invertebrate Zoology, American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York, United States of America
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
BS contributed to data collection and analyses, developed the “new placula hypothesis” and together with RD designed the study. ME, WJ, HJO, HH, and SD collected and analyzed data. SOK and RD performed the phylogenetic analyses. RD and BS coordinated the phylogenetic discussion. All authors contributed to data interpretation and writing.