About the Authors
- Edward C Holmes, Bryan T Grenfell
- Center for Infectious Disease Dynamics, Department of Biology, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, United States of America
- Elodie Ghedin, Naomi Miller, Steven L Salzberg, Claire M Fraser
- Institute for Genomic Research, Rockville, Maryland, United States of America
- Jill Taylor, Kirsten St George
- Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany, New York, United States of America
- Yiming Bao, David J Lipman
- National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
- Jeffery K Taubenberger
- Department of Molecular Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rockville, Maryland, United States of America
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
ECH conducted the phylogenetic analyses. EG and NM developed the laboratory protocols and sequenced the genomes for the influenza sequencing project. JT and KS collected the clinical isolates, selected the subset for sequencing, and prepared the viral RNA. YB performed quality assurance and annotated the sequences. SLS managed development of bioinformatics software for assembly and data management for the influenza sequencing project. CMF contributed to overall project management. DJL and JKT analyzed the data. ECH, BTG, DJL, and JKT wrote the paper.